More affordable homes could be built on village site
- Credit: Archant
More homes could be built on land that is already earmarked for more than 40 affordable houses.
Freemantle Developments Ltd has applied to build 25 affordable homes on land adjacent to Hope Cottage, in Congresbury.
It has secured planning consent for housing on the site and neighbouring land to the east of Hope Cottage, in Smallway.
The phase one site has extant planning permission for 21 homes, which are all affordable houses, secured through a section 106 agreement and construction works are at an advanced stage.
The phase two site already has outline consent for 20 homes.
You may also want to watch:
The developer is in negotiation with Alliance Homes to purchase the proposed properties and deliver them all as affordable housing.
Alliance Homes also has an option to purchase the phase two site but its preference is for smaller houses and a greater ammount than those granted outline permission, hence the application for 25 homes instead of a reserved matters application for 20.
- 1 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 2 Mike Fletcher: Former Weston Cricket and Rugby legend passes away
- 3 Weston homeless charity announces new location to help vulnerable people during winter
- 4 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 5 North Somerset online choir to bring Christmas cheer
- 6 Winscombe show home crowned best in South West
- 7 Businessman launches two-in-one facemasks in support of MIND charity
- 8 MPs brand placing North Somerset into tier 3 restrictions 'not right' and 'illogical'
- 9 Grand Pier's future uncertain as Weston enters tier 3
- 10 Weston-super-Mare duo sentenced for drug offences
A design and access statement said: “The site is not subject to any environmental designations and is outside the greenbelt, in a sequentially preferable flood zone. Its location is not sensitive in landscape or visual terms.
“The site is allocated for housing in the Neighbourhood Plan and is just outside the settlement boundary for Congresbury, on a main bus route. As such, the site is well connected in sustainable access terms.
“The scheme would not result in any harm to highway safety and would improve pedestrian safety, permeability, and connectivity through a range of off-site measures.”
As part of the plan, a central access road further along Smallway will be built and a field gate removed.
Should Alliance Homes not proceed with the site, a reduced amount of 30 per cent would be delivered as affordable housing, consistent with policy requirements, with the remaining 70 per cent delivered as open market units.
Congresbury Parish Council previously expressed to the developer the need for small, low cost and affordable housing in the village.
Housing on the site will be delivered with a combination of one, two and three bedroom homes for affordable rent.