Council changes recycling approach to deal with backlog
PUBLISHED: 14:00 10 January 2011
NORTH Somerset Council says it is changing its approach to collecting rubbish after piles of waste were left still uncollected on kerbsides around the area.
Despite the council saying it would endeavour to gather up all left-over recycling and green waste collections by today, many residents have still not seen collection lorries, some since December 16.
To process the recycling more quickly, May Gurney contractors carrying out work for the council will now collect all different forms of recyclable goods together, and sort them later. Separate vehicles will still collect food waste and green box recycling.
The council is hoping that this approach will allow the accumulated collections to be collected much more quickly, with those households which have gone longest without a collection now first in line for the revised service.
Councillor Carl Francis-Pester, the council’s executive member for waste and recycling said: “Despite bringing in additional resources from other parts of the country, and providing a 24 hour operation over the last week, including over the weekend, our contractors May Gurney have not yet been able to catch up on all the missed collections.
“In discussions with them at the weekend, we have agreed this new short-term approach which will speed up the collections and allow us to get back to the normal collections schedule much more quickly.”
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Weston Mercury. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.