Council concern about housing plans
- Credit: Archant
AROUND 50 houses with additional employment development are being proposed in a Somerset town.
The owner of fields south of Houlgate Way in Axbridge wishes to build on the site.
But Axbridge Town Council had concerns that it was not aware of the plans before an affordable housing consultation was held.
A council spokesman said: “Sedgemoor District Council held an affordable housing consultation in Axbridge Town Hall recently, which left the impression that it was promoting the development.
“Town councillors expressed serious concerns about the process being undertaken, about which the town council was not informed, especially as a neighbourhood plan was currently being produced.
You may also want to watch:
“As a result, an informal meeting was held between the town council and officers from Sedgemoor.
“Members had a constructive meeting with Sedgemoor District Council who have assured the town council that it will be consulted on any future proposals for development and that nothing further will happen until the results of the current housing needs survey are known.
- 1 Rapid coronavirus tests offered to people in North Somerset
- 2 Contemporary living in a pretty North Somerset village
- 3 More support needed from Government for pubs to survive
- 4 Alliance Homes to deliver 40 affordable properties on Somerset housing development
- 5 Restaurant donates meals to key workers, teachers and pupils
- 6 Pump track project appeals for further community support
- 7 New hope in third lockdown due to vaccine
- 8 Council seeks photographer for heritage project
- 9 Man jailed for filming women without their knowledge
- 10 Vacant care home to be transformed into seafront flats
“Any development would require a full planning application and would therefore be discussed by the town council in detail.”
No planning application has yet been submitted. However, an agent has held preliminary consultations with Sedgemoor officers about the possibility of development.
The results of the housing needs survey will be taken into account ahead of a decision.