Asbestos exposure caused man’s death
PUBLISHED: 11:00 16 January 2011
Copyright Archant Ltd
ASBESTOS fibres killed a ‘lovely gentleman’ from Weston more than 50 years after he was exposed it.
Richard Horwood resided at Beach Lawns Care Home in the resort until July 31, when nurses discovered he had died in the early hours of the morning.
The 74-year-old had been exposed to asbestos while working at the Wagon Works railway in Gloucester between 1959-61, Flax Bourton Coroner’s Court was told on Monday.
In a statement compiled by Mr Horwood, which formed part of a claim he was pursuing before he died, he said: “I would have been exposed to asbestos at various times throughout my job as a fitter at Wagon Works.
“I was filling in holes with asbestos filler and would then rub this down which created asbestos dust.
“I was not provided with any specific protection to minimise the risk and was not told about the dangers of asbestos.”
Coroner David Dooley said that despite Mr Horwood having other illnesses, the fact that he had been exposed to the chemical meant it was highly likely this would have caused his death.
Mr Dooley said: “He was subject to asbestos in the atmosphere and on the balance of probability he died as a result of this exposure.”
A verdict of death by asbestos was recorded.
Speaking after the inquest staff at the Beach Road care home said: “He was a lovely gentleman and he will me missed by many. He was very calm and well liked and took each day as it came.”
n To leave a tribute to Mr Horwood log onto www.westonmercury.co.uk
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Weston Mercury. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.