Man, who has spent 20 of his 41 years in jail, gets curfew

PUBLISHED: 10:00 28 October 2011 | UPDATED: 13:47 28 October 2011

North Somerset Courthouse

North Somerset Courthouse


A WESTON man who has spent almost half of his life in prison has pleaded guilty to going equipped for burglary at a North Somerset holiday camp.

Dennis Keane, aged 41, of Crookes Lane, Kewstoke entered Sand Bay holiday village on August 5 with bolt croppers, a Stanley knife and a screwdriver.

When caught by security guard Jospeh Udugbe, Keane threatened him and started swinging the bolt clippers at his head, North Somerset Courthouse heard.

James Mumford, defending, told the court Keane had ‘staggering’ statistics of offending, as his prison sentences date back to when he was a teenager.

Mr Mumford said: “He has prison sentences totalling almost 20 years and these years have had a pretty destructive effect upon him.”

Prosecutor Kelly Marshall told the court Mr Udugbe heard a noise coming from the maintenance building at the holiday village and called another employee. He had heard glass smashing and he then found Keane with bolt clippers in one hand.

Ms Marshall said: “It was then that the defendant started swinging the bolt clippers towards the guard’s head.

“Mr Udugbe said ‘I was scared and shocked by what the defendant was doing’. My Udugbe struggled with him until his colleague came.”

Police then arrived at the scene and found a knife and screwdriver on Keane.

Mr Mumford said prison had not had the desired effect on Keane and that he was subject to ‘revolving-door syndrome’. But he told the court Keane had been given a 28-day prison recall and he had found those days more effective in persuading him to change his ways rather than jail terms he has served in the past.

Mr Mumford told the court Keane has had a long-standing drug habit, which stems from his family - from which he is now estranged - who were heavy cocaine and heroin users.

He said: “Mr Keane would say that he went that evening with very little planned, he was drunk and he has offered his apologies to the security guard involved, one who is well known to him.

“He is now co-operating with the probation service, has been referred to college and no longer uses drugs. He is making an effort, they are small steps but they are steps which could be encouraged.”

Keane was sentenced to a 12-month community order, with a curfew requirement for 16 weeks which will last from 7pm-7am. He also has to complete a drug rehabilitation requirement and a Thinking Skills programme. He also has to pay £50 compensation but no costs.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Weston Mercury

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists