Restaurant prosecuted after salmonella outbreak

PUBLISHED: 14:26 14 May 2014

Sub

OWNERS of a Chinese restaurant have been prosecuted for food hygiene offences after 10 people were poisoned with salmonella in one weekend.

Environmental health staff from Sedgemoor District Council found The Riverside Chinese Restaurant in The Cliffs, Cheddar, had issues relating to cross-contamination, poor cleaning and a lack of hand-washing.

Officers also reported staff had dirty work clothing, food was the wrong temperature and there was an incomplete food safety management system when they visited the restaurant on May 25 last year.

The company was fined £4,500 for the offences at Taunton Magistrates Court on Monday.

The case arose from a reported outbreak of salmonella in the area, all affecting people who had eaten food from the premises during a weekend in May last year.

A direct link was not proven between the outbreak and the premises, but officers said conditions found during the visit could have led to the salmonella poisoning.

A council spokesman said: “The successful case, led by Sedgemoor’s litigation lawyer Nigel Osborne, is the latest example of action taken by Sedgemoor District to improve food hygiene standards and ensure the public can have confidence when they eat out.

“Our environmental health officers carry out regular checks on all food premises to make sure the public is protected and that high standards are maintained.”

Most Read

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the Weston Mercury

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists