Weston house fire was ‘accidental’
PUBLISHED: 15:55 10 June 2020 | UPDATED: 14:11 11 June 2020
(c) copyright newzulu.com
A fire which tore through a flat in Weston is believed to have been accidental.
One person was treated by ambulance crews, while two budgies were rescued from the fire at the property in Drove Road.
Firefighters were called out to the blaze just before 3pm yesterday (Wednesday).
The fire had broken out in the kitchen of a top floor flat and spread to the roof.
Crews from Avon Fire and Rescue Service used six breathing apparatus, two high pressure hose reels and one 45mm jet to tackle the fire.
People were evacuated from neighbouring properties and traffic was diverted while crews battled the blaze.
A fire service spokesman said: “At 2.47pm, crews from Weston, Clevedon and Winscombe fire stations attended a fire in the top floor flat of a two-storey building in Drove Road.
“On arrival, firefighters found a fire which started in the kitchen area and had spread into the roof.
“Crews used 10 breathing apparatus for safety and two high pressure hose reels, one 45mm jet and one turntable ladder to tackle the fire. A positive pressure ventilation fan was also used to clear smoke in the adjacent properties.
“Firefighters handed one casualty over to Ambulance crews. Two budgies were also rescued from the fire.
“Firefighters also evacuated persons from neighbouring properties.
“The cause is thought to have been accidental.”
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Weston Mercury. Click the link in the orange box above for details.