Weston house fire was ‘accidental’

House fire at Drove Road Picture: Nick Page Hayman

House fire at Drove Road Picture: Nick Page Hayman - Credit: Nick Page. Hayman.

A fire which tore through a flat in Weston is believed to have been accidental.

House fire at Drove Road Picture: Nick Page Hayman

House fire at Drove Road Picture: Nick Page Hayman - Credit: Nick Page. Hayman.

One person was treated by ambulance crews, while two budgies were rescued from the fire at the property in Drove Road.

Firefighters were called out to the blaze just before 3pm yesterday (Wednesday).

The fire had broken out in the kitchen of a top floor flat and spread to the roof.

Crews from Avon Fire and Rescue Service used six breathing apparatus, two high pressure hose reels and one 45mm jet to tackle the fire.

House fire at Drove Road Picture: Nick Page Hayman

House fire at Drove Road Picture: Nick Page Hayman - Credit: Nick Page. Hayman.


You may also want to watch:


People were evacuated from neighbouring properties and traffic was diverted while crews battled the blaze.

A fire service spokesman said: “At 2.47pm, crews from Weston, Clevedon and Winscombe fire stations attended a fire in the top floor flat of a two-storey building in Drove Road.

Most Read

“On arrival, firefighters found a fire which started in the kitchen area and had spread into the roof.

“Crews used 10 breathing apparatus for safety and two high pressure hose reels, one 45mm jet and one turntable ladder to tackle the fire. A positive pressure ventilation fan was also used to clear smoke in the adjacent properties.

House fire at Drove Road Picture: Nick Page Hayman

House fire at Drove Road Picture: Nick Page Hayman - Credit: Nick Page. Hayman.

“Firefighters handed one casualty over to Ambulance crews. Two budgies were also rescued from the fire.

“Firefighters also evacuated persons from neighbouring properties. ​

“The cause is thought to have been accidental.”

Crews are currrently fighting a fire at a house in Drove Road.

Crews are currrently fighting a fire at a house in Drove Road. - Credit: Archant

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus