Crews tackle large fire at Burnham-on-Sea pier
- Credit: Mark Crandon
A large fire has broken out at Burnham-on-Sea pier this afternoon (Thursday).
Eight fire crews from surrounding towns, including two from Weston, tackled the blaze, which started at 12.30pm.
Devon Fire and Rescue and Avon Fire and Rescue Service attended the scene earlier today, with one fire crew now remaining at one of Britain's oldest piers.
Fire crews have now extinguished the blaze, which Devon Fire and Rescue Service confirmed was at the back of the building in the amusement arcade.
As of 4.02pm, crews are now stabilising hotspots - areas which are most likely to reignite a fire in the building - and have asked Western Power to attend the scene.
You may also want to watch:
Fire crews used two hose reels, two main jets and a fog spike to extinguish the fire.
- 1 New restaurant named Hospitality Hero by Mercury readers
- 2 Poignant artwork installed on Weston beach
- 3 PICTURES: New Aldi store opens in shopping district
- 4 FA Cup: Weston AFC cruse past Taunton Town to reach third qualifying round
- 5 End of busy summer with more events to look forward to
- 6 Luxurious three-bedroom house overlooking Weston seafront
- 7 Day of Ibiza club classics to be performed in Weston this weekend
- 8 Weston chosen as a ‘priority place’ in bid to transform the country through culture
- 9 CCTV appeal after man seriously assaulted in Weston
- 10 Blue plaque installed for famous actress