Alcoholic, 27, demands fine
AN ALCOHOLIC argued with magistrates after they sentenced him for launching a tirade of foul-mouthed abuse at his partner in public.
Darren Wedmore admitted threatening his girlfriend for more than 40 minutes while stood outside his house in Yatton High Street on May 11.
At the hearing at North Somerset Courthouse on Monday, magistrates decided to give the 27-year-old a conditional discharge for 12 months.
But the unemployed man argued back at magistrates, calling the sentence unfair and asking for a ‘large fine’ instead.
The court had heard how Wedmore had been released by police for drunken behaviour only hours before the incident, which happened at 11.20am.
You may also want to watch:
He drank a bottle of vodka and began shouting abuse at his girlfriend before police were called by a neighbour.
Wedmore told magistrates: “I disagree with it all. I want a fine, this is not fair.”
- 1 PICTURES: Look inside Weston's Revo Kitchen
- 2 'Not the slightest chance' Tropicana lido will return to Weston
- 3 Wetherspoon staff isolating after positive Covid-19 case
- 4 Weston-super-Mare's Jake Cornish in Love Island 2021
- 5 Coronavirus vaccine centre for young people opens in Weston town centre
- 6 Unusual spike in Covid cases in parts of North Somerset
- 7 Public consultation begins on proposed improvements along the A38
- 8 Scores enjoy village scarecrow trail based on TV characters
- 9 'It was just horrible' says Tiktok influencer after visit to Weston beach
- 10 Family pub reopens after lockdown transformation