Asbestos exposure caused man’s death

ASBESTOS fibres killed a ‘lovely gentleman’ from Weston more than 50 years after he was exposed it.

Richard Horwood resided at Beach Lawns Care Home in the resort until July 31, when nurses discovered he had died in the early hours of the morning.

The 74-year-old had been exposed to asbestos while working at the Wagon Works railway in Gloucester between 1959-61, Flax Bourton Coroner’s Court was told on Monday.

In a statement compiled by Mr Horwood, which formed part of a claim he was pursuing before he died, he said: “I would have been exposed to asbestos at various times throughout my job as a fitter at Wagon Works.

“I was filling in holes with asbestos filler and would then rub this down which created asbestos dust.

You may also want to watch:

“I was not provided with any specific protection to minimise the risk and was not told about the dangers of asbestos.”

Coroner David Dooley said that despite Mr Horwood having other illnesses, the fact that he had been exposed to the chemical meant it was highly likely this would have caused his death.

Most Read

Mr Dooley said: “He was subject to asbestos in the atmosphere and on the balance of probability he died as a result of this exposure.”

A verdict of death by asbestos was recorded.

Speaking after the inquest staff at the Beach Road care home said: “He was a lovely gentleman and he will me missed by many. He was very calm and well liked and took each day as it came.”

n To leave a tribute to Mr Horwood log onto

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter