Bristol City fan convicted over attack

A BRISTOL City fan has been found guilty of violent disorder following an attack on a Leeds United fan who chanted how ‘easy’ his side were winning at Ashton Gate last season.

Neil Grey, aged 32, was one of three men convicted at Bristol Crown Court of setting upon Darren Priaulx after the Leeds supporter celebrated his side taking the lead, while sitting among City supporters.

Several fans pulled Mr Priaulx after he started chanting ‘easy, easy’ as Leeds went on to win 2-0 in the Championship clash on February 12 last year.

Bristol Crown Court was told he had bought tickets in the Dolman Stand – intended for Bristol City fans only – and angered the home side’s fans with his goal celebration.

Grey, of St Michael’s Avenue in Worle, along with Christopher Moore and Paul Stitt, both aged 47 and from Whitchurch, hauled Mr Priaulx down the stairs and passed him over to the stewards.

You may also want to watch:

The court was told Mr Priaulx was kicked and punched as fans picked him off his seat. He was left with his shirt torn and cuts and bruises.

Fellow Robins supporter Phillip Smith, who has been to more than 100 games with Grey, told the court he would never associate him with violence.

Most Read

He said: “I’ve never seen him involved in violence or in a threatening manner.

“Neil is the sort of guy who would try and help someone who is in trouble and he would intervene himself.”

Grey was found unanimously guilty by the jury on Friday. Stitt, of Church Lane, and Moore, of Longway Avenue, were also found guilty while a fourth defendant was acquitted.

Grey was released on bail ahead of his sentencing. No date has been set for the hearing.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter