Carpenter killed by asbestos exposure
- Credit: Archant
AN 81-YEAR-OLD Weston man died as a result of his work with asbestos, an inquest heard.
Kenneth Wilton, who lived in Dunster Crescent with his wife, died on November 3 at 5.30am.
Mr Wilton, who was born in Suffolk, but moved to the area in the 1960s, was a retired carpenter.
At the inquest at Flax Bourton Coroners Court this week, it was established he died after a lifetime of exposure to the dangerous material asbestos.
He died at Weston Hospicecare just months after being diagnosed with mesothelioma – a rare form of cancer caused by inhaling asbestos fibres.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Wilton began working as a carpenter in 1946, and continued in this profession until he retired.
In a statement written before he died, Mr Wilton said: “I had to use hand tools to cut and fix the asbestos panels by hand. I could not help inhaling the asbestos fibres which were on my hands, clothes and tools.”
- 1 Weston son thanks his 'hard working father' for Father's Day
- 2 Revo Kitchen opens in Weston
- 3 Man in hospital after stabbing in Weston
- 4 Large house and grounds in a favoured semi-rural Weston village
- 5 REVEALED: Three locations chosen for new Aldi stores
- 6 North Somerset Covid cases increase by 170%
- 7 Father's Day: Children's messages to their dads
- 8 Spot the scarecrows around Kewstoke and Sand Bay
- 9 Two injured in car and motorbike crash in Weston
- 10 Six people evacuated from fire in town centre
Throughout his career, except during a stint in the RAF, he worked closely with the hazardous substance.
The coroner, Terence Moore, said: “Mr Wilton himself says he was exposed to asbestos dust throughout the 1940s, 1950s, 1960s and into the early 1970s, which is a long and quite intensive exposure.”
His death was recorded as industrial disease.