Chief Constable loses court battle
A JUDGE has ruled the Police Crime Commissioner (PCC) did not act unlawfully when she asked the Chief Constable of Avon and Somerset Constabulary to reapply for his job.
Chief Const Colin Port announced in November that he would be stepping from the role he had held since 2005.
He said he had ‘no intention of applying for my job’ following a meeting on November 22 with PCC Mountstevens who had been elected seven days before.
Yesterday (Tues) it was announced Chief Const Port was to issue legal proceedings against the PCC body and wanted an injunction imposed which would prevent PCC Mountstevens from beginning the recruitment process for a new chief constable.
Chief Const Port also wanted a court to rule that he should have six months’ notice.
You may also want to watch:
But Mr Justice Edwards-Stuart ruled in favour of the PCC following the one-day hearing this week.
PCC Mountstevens said she was ‘surprised’ it went to court.
- 1 Revo Kitchen opens in Weston
- 2 Man in hospital after stabbing in Weston
- 3 REVEALED: Three locations chosen for new Aldi stores
- 4 North Somerset Covid cases increase by 170%
- 5 Planning application submitted for £30million second school site
- 6 Somerset holiday park owners urge tourists to use common sense
- 7 Yatton pub releases full English breakfast fragrance
- 8 Family pub reopens after lockdown transformation
- 9 Two injured in car and motorbike crash in Weston
- 10 5 things to do in North Somerset this weekend
A spokesman for her office added: “The High Court has confirmed that the PCC’s decisions were lawful in every respect.
“The judge rejected Mr Port’s complaints in law, found that they were not even arguable and dismissed the case. Costs were awarded against Mr Port.
“Colin Port has served the constabulary and the communities of Avon and Somerset with distinction and we wish him every success in the future.”
* For more reaction see tomorrow’s (Thurs) Mercury