Former England goalkeeper David James nets speeding fine
FORMER England goalkeeper David James has been fined by magistrates after being convicted of speeding on the motorway in a V-reg Vauxhall Astra.
The former Liverpool, Aston Villa and Manchester City star – who currently plays for Championship outfit Bristol City – failed to appear to his hearing at North Somerset Courthouse in St Georges this morning (Thursday).
However, prosecutors proceeded in his absence, and told the court how the 41-year-old had been clocked at 90mph on the M5 at Weston at 8.30am on July 22.
His speed was recorded between the Wolvershill Road motorway bridge and the junction roundabout, and he was then followed and ordered to pull over by traffic police.
James, of Chudleigh in Devon, was given the option of attending an educational driving course to avoid receiving points on his licence, and accepted.
You may also want to watch:
However, the court was told that a court summons was issued when James failed to attend the course. He also failed to respond to the summons, and the case went ahead in his absence.
Magistrates fined him �175 plus �85 costs and a �15 victim surcharge, and ordered his licence - which was previously clean - to be endorsed with three penalty points.
- 1 REVEALED: Three locations chosen for new Aldi stores
- 2 Revo Kitchen opens in Weston
- 3 Planning application submitted for £30million second school site
- 4 Family pub reopens after lockdown transformation
- 5 Yatton pub releases full English breakfast fragrance
- 6 Six people evacuated from fire in town centre
- 7 Spot the scarecrows around Kewstoke and Sand Bay
- 8 Two injured in car and motorbike crash in Weston
- 9 Bristol Balloon Fiesta cancelled at Ashton Court in place of city flypasts
- 10 Where is the best fish and chips shop in Weston-super-Mare?
James, aged 41, won 53 England caps during a chequered career which saw him at times rated the country’s best stopper, while at others cruelly dubbed ‘Calamity James’.
From 2009-11 he held a record for being the player with the most appearances in the Premier League, before being overtaken by Ryan Giggs.
His Bristol City side is currently fighting a relegation battle, with the Robins languishing in 20th place in the Championship table.