Fraudster practice manager took £22k from GP surgery in overtime and bonuses
- Credit: Archant
A practice manager at a Weston-super-Mare doctors’ surgery who fraudulently paid herself £22,000 in bonuses and overtime, at a time when the NHS is struggling financially, has been spared jail.
Over a period of four years, Jackie Bibby, aged 58, paid herself thousands of pounds in overtime while she worked at a town centre doctor’s surgery.
She was sentenced at Bristol Crown Court to 12 months in prison, suspended for two years, and 200 hours of unpaid work.
In her role as practice manager at Clarence Park Surgery, in Clarence Road East, Bibby was responsible for organising suppliers and employees’ payroll.
But during her time there, she abused her position by paying herself money from the practice’s bank accounts, including £21,000 in false overtime and £1,000 in unapproved bonuses.
You may also want to watch:
When Bibby went away on holiday, the practice received a letter from North Somerset Council saying its council tax had not been paid.
One of the practice’s former managers was brought in to investigate, and uncovered how Bibby, of Fallowfield in Weston, had paid herself numerous bonuses between 2011 and 2015, amounting to the £22,000 sum.
- 1 Weston son thanks his 'hard working father' for Father's Day
- 2 Revo Kitchen opens in Weston
- 3 Man in hospital after stabbing in Weston
- 4 Large house and grounds in a favoured semi-rural Weston village
- 5 REVEALED: Three locations chosen for new Aldi stores
- 6 North Somerset Covid cases increase by 170%
- 7 Father's Day: Children's messages to their dads
- 8 Spot the scarecrows around Kewstoke and Sand Bay
- 9 Two injured in car and motorbike crash in Weston
- 10 Six people evacuated from fire in town centre
She appeared at Bristol Crown Court to be sentenced on April 11.
It is unclear of how much of the money she will pay back, as this is down to the practice, which has now changed hands.
NHS England says Bibby will not be subject to any additional investigations by a regulator.