Friendship ends with threats to kill

North Somerset Courthouse

North Somerset Courthouse - Credit: Archant

A 42-YEAR-OLD Weston man threatened to kill his former friend over suspicions he was having an affair with his ex-wife.

Terence Reed, of Canberra Road, admitted one charge of harassment after repeatedly threatening and verbally abusing Hamid Gommari.

Michael Collins, prosecuting, told the court the pair had become friends during their time in rehab together two years ago.

However, their relationship soured after leaving rehab when Mr Gommari did some decorating for Reed’s ex-wife.

On six separate occasions Reed threatened Mr Gommari or swore at him, North Somerset Courthouse was told on Monday.

You may also want to watch:

Twice in June 2011 he threatened to kick down Mr Gommari’s door shouting: “Come out you f*****g P**i, I’m going to kill you.”

The following year he attempted to grab the victim at Tesco Express and shouted similar abuse.

Most Read

Other harassment included calling Mr Gommari a ‘w****r’ while driving past him in Weston and attempting to start a fight.

Under police interview, Reed described Mr Gommari as a “s**t-stirring maggot’. He also said: “It’s not a race thing, it’s a man thing. I f*****g hate him and will iron him out.”

Judith Mills, defending, said the language Reed used towards the Moroccan was ‘outdated’ and was a result of his London upbringing.

She said the falling out between the pair stemmed from the time Reed received treatment for alcohol and drug dependency.

Mr Gommari revealed intimate and personal details about Reed to his ex-wife and son, Ms Mills told the court, and Reed believed Mr Gommari was sleeping with his ex-wife.

Ms Mills said Reed had mental health problems following his 25-year addiction to drugs and alcohol, which meant it was hard for him to keep control at times.

She said: “None of this, apart from perhaps the first instance, was pre-planned.”

Mr Gommari has since moved into a home on the same road as Reed and there have been no altercations since October.

Reed was handed an eight-week curfew and ordered to pay £85 costs and £60 victim surcharge.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter