Hospital cleared at baby death inquest
- Credit: Archant
HOSPITAL staff were not to blame for a three-month-old baby’s death, an inquest was told.
Jayden McKinven died in February 2012, just 36 hours after a doctor at Bristol Children’s Hospital allowed him to leave.
But Flax Bourton Coroners’ Court was told Jayden developed E.coli and acute pneumonia only a few hours before he died, leaving doctors no chance to save him.
Grandfather David Slade paid tribute to his grandson and said he was a ‘very much-loved child’.
His mother Christine McKinven and Mr Slade had take Jayden to the hospital on February 24 at 10.30pm and spent three-and-a-half hours in the A&E department.
You may also want to watch:
Jayden was seen by a triage nurse and doctor after suffering vomiting, diarrhoea and a lack of appetite. He was discharged once his condition improved and he began to feed again.
But the following day paramedics were called after father Jason McKinven found Jayden was not breathing at their home in Claverham Park, Claverham.
- 1 REVEALED: Three locations chosen for new Aldi stores
- 2 Revo Kitchen opens in Weston
- 3 Planning application submitted for £30million second school site
- 4 Family pub reopens after lockdown transformation
- 5 Six people evacuated from fire in town centre
- 6 Yatton pub releases full English breakfast fragrance
- 7 Spot the scarecrows around Kewstoke and Sand Bay
- 8 Two injured in car and motorbike crash in Weston
- 9 Bristol Balloon Fiesta cancelled at Ashton Court in place of city flypasts
- 10 Where is the best fish and chips shop in Weston-super-Mare?
Jayden was taken to Bristol Children’s Hospital but was pronounced dead shortly after arriving.
Matthew Barnes, representing the family, said Dr May-Lin Liu should not have discharged Jayden in the early hours of February 25.
Her colleague Dr Mark Lyttle said he agreed with Dr Liu’s decision because Jayden’s condition was improving and no-one could have known Jayden would suddenly be struck down with the other deadly illnesses.
A post-mortem revealed that the rotavirus and norovirus Jayden was admitted to hospital with were a secondary factor in his death, along with excessive dehydration which saw him lose 10-15 per cent of his body weight in his final days.
However, Dr Craig Platt said the main cause of death was the onset of E.coli septicaemia in several organs plus acute pneumonia, something which Jayden may have suffered from for less than a day.
Coroner Maria Voisin recorded the death as natural causes with a narrative of the events leading up to his death.