‘Active and independent’ man discovered hanged at Weston-super-Mare home
- Credit: Archant
An ‘active’ young man was found hanged at his Weston home after a bad break-up.
Sylwester Michniak was described by his sister, Anna, as an ‘independent’ young man who worked hard in a factory since moving to Weston from Poland.
An inquest held at Avon Coroner’s Court, in Flax Bourton, on September 13 heard his sister climbed through the window of her brother’s house in St Paul’s Street where she found him and called 999.
The 25-year-old was rushed to Southmead Hospital’s A&E department, in Bristol but he died six days later on June 25.
Miss Michniak said in court: “He was an active and independent man and never thought about taking his life before. We were close as a family but in the past three months of his life he changed.
You may also want to watch:
“He got a new girlfriend and he started to avoid friends and do drugs and skip work.
“He hadn’t been doing any of those things until he was with her.
- 1 Where is the best fish and chips shop in Weston-super-Mare?
- 2 Beauty spot damaged as visitors use nature reserve as toilet
- 3 Beautiful three-bedroom penthouse, with panoramic views over Weston
- 4 Music acts to perform next to Weston's Birnbeck Pier
- 5 Covid-19: Number of Delta variant cases in North Somerset
- 6 £1m funding bid to make Weston police station redevelopment viable
- 7 Somerset votes for two unitaries instead of one by clear margin in poll
- 8 Woman dies at Weston cemetery
- 9 Somerset holiday park owners urge tourists to use common sense
- 10 New date for Trucks at the Beach announced
“I went to see my brother as he was having problems with his girlfriend. She was dating two guys at the same time – she was meeting up with her ex-boyfriend.
“We spoke one hour before and he was supposed to come over to talk about things
“His ex-girlfriend called me and said he had left her and she was worried because of the arguing.
“He wasn’t answering his phone so I went over there to check on him and found him.
“He will always stay in our memories.”
Doctors performed numerous CT scans on Mr Michniak after he started ‘jerking’.
His blood pressure and heart rate continued to rise at which point the doctors spoke to his family about withdrawing care and becoming an organ donor, which they agreed to.
Assistant coroner Robert Sowersby said: “Mr Michniak was pronounced dead 3.33pm from medical 1A hypoxic ischaemic encephalopathy.
“He fell into company which had changed his life.
“My verdict is a narrative conclusion that Sylwester Michniak hanged himself but it is not possible to say if he had intended to end his life.”
Miss Michniak is trying to raise money to ‘bring her brother home’ to Poland through a GoFundMe page. To help with her fundraising, visit www.gofundme.com/aa5hf-collection