Jogger left ‘terrified’ after dog attack

North Somerset Courthouse.

North Somerset Courthouse. - Credit: Archant

A MAN has been left ‘terrified’ of dogs after being attacked by a German shepherd while out for a jog and fears a child could be next, a court heard.

Scott Quinn was forced to take 10 weeks off work and receive 10 stitches after he was bitten by the animal on January 1.

The dog’s owner Ryszard Garbien, of Bow Court in Wick St Lawrence, appeared at North Somerset Courthouse on Friday after pleading guilty to a charge of allowing it to be dangerously out of control in a public place and cause injury.

Prosecutor Jane Cooper said Mr Quinn was jogging around Wick St Lawrence when the female dog started chasing him.

The court was told Mr Quinn slowed down, hoping the dog would stop, but instead it bit him on his left calf.

You may also want to watch:

She said: “Mr Quinn said ‘I was left alone screaming for help and was too scared to go to the house it came from. Within a minute a car came along Ebdon Lane and I waved to the car and showed the bite.’

“The good Samaritan drove Mr Quinn to his house and he then went to the A&E department in Weston General Hospital.

Most Read

“He lost the feeling in the back of his leg which doctors said may or may not be permanent.

“He said ‘I was terrified when it happened as I felt completely vulnerable and alone. It disturbs me to think if the dog continued to maul me when no-one was around to stop it.

‘I was worried about dogs before this happened but I’m now terrified of them. This dog may attack again and it may be a child next time. I feel this will affect me emotionally for a long time to come.’”

Garbien, aged 48, who was representing himself, said: “I let the dog out in the garden and one of the barriers came down. I have increased the security because I do not want the dog to escape.

“I wasn’t there so I cannot say exactly what happened. I’m really sorry about what happened but I do not know how it happened.

“The dog plays with cows on the land, kids and everyone.”

Magistrates asked for a pre-sentence report to be prepared and will decide on the outcome, and whether the dog will be put down, on May 30. Garbien has been released on unconditional bail.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter