Man avoids jail after three assaults in one night

North Somerset Courthouse.

North Somerset Courthouse. - Credit: Archant

A WESTON man has been spared jail after assaulting a party-goer three times in one night.

Michael Marlow, of Burlington Street, pleaded guilty to four charges of assault in the town centre at North Somerset Courthouse on Monday.

The first three involved victim Ian Parsonage on December 21, who was at Eternity in Regent Street after a work Christmas party.

Prosecutor Mai Li told the court Mr Parsonage was outside the bar having a cigarette at around 4.20am when he started a conversation with a group of four men, one of whom was Marlow.

She said: “He (Parsonage) continued to try to talk to them and he was approached by Marlow who punched him to the face without saying anything.

You may also want to watch:

“He fell backwards and struck his head on a street light and lay on the floor for a few minutes. He was totally shocked and could not remember anything said to him prior.

“Mr Parsonage got up and Marlow approached him and said ‘who are you, who do you think you are?’”

Most Read

Ms Li said Mr Parsonage called the police on his mobile phone and 27-year-old Marlow could be heard making threats in the background.

When Marlow left the area, the victim followed him while he was still on the phone to the police and the defendant punched him in the face again, which was also heard on the 999 call.

She said: “Mr Parsonage tried to follow him while on the phone to the police and at a lane in Alexandra Parade Marlow struck him in the face for a third time before running down a lane to Meadow Street, which was all captured on CCTV.

“In interview he cannot remember much. He remembers being in an altercation with someone who was being racist. He cannot remember what was said, cannot remember assaulting anyone or saying anything.

“He said he may have acted in self defence because the complainant was following him but cannot remember. He said he remembers someone being racist but apologises for being violent.”

Marlow was also charged with another count of assault on Adam Rose at the Apple Cental Taxi office on December 29. Ms Li told the court Mr Rose spoke to two women who entered, but cannot remember what was said as he had been drinking at a friend’s 30th birthday party.

She said: “Marlow approached him and he was struck to the left eye, which caused a black eye and a small cut to the eye area. In interview Marlow said he cannot remember what happened that evening.”

Marlow was sentenced to eight weeks in prison, suspended for 12 months, for the three charges of assault on Ian Parsonage. He was also ordered to comply with a curfew from 7pm-7am for 10 weeks, to pay £200 compensation, a victim surcharge of £80 and court costs of £150.

For the assault on Adam Rose Marlow was given a consecutive eight-week sentence, also suspended for 12 months, and ordered to pay £150 in compensation.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter