Man jailed for threatening to kidnap family
- Credit: Archant
A 25-YEAR-OLD Weston man has been jailed for three-and-a-half years after admitting blackmailing a man by threatening to kidnap his family.
Kerry Lewis of Neva Road was also ordered to pay a £1,400 confiscation order within the next six months or face a further 35 days in prison – while still needing to pay up.
On March 14, a man contacted police to report threats being made to his family relating to a drug debt.
The victim had previously served time in jail after admitting possessing class A drug cocaine with intent to supply.
When he was released from prison, the victim was told by Lewis to pay a £4,000 drug debt by the end of the day or members of his family would be kidnapped.
You may also want to watch:
Det Insp Chris Saunders said: “The victim in this case had made a clean break from offending and was trying to rehabilitate himself by moving away from Weston and complying with probation.
“Lewis’ unwarranted threats to the victim and his family were a deliberate attempt to draw him back into the world of drug supply he sought to escape.
- 1 Somerset holiday park owners urge tourists to use common sense
- 2 Where is the best fish and chips shop in Weston-super-Mare?
- 3 Music acts to perform next to Weston's Birnbeck Pier
- 4 Covid-19: Number of Delta variant cases in North Somerset
- 5 Beauty spot damaged as visitors use nature reserve as toilet
- 6 Beautiful three-bedroom penthouse, with panoramic views over Weston
- 7 Euro 2020: 7 places to watch Euro 2020 in Weston
- 8 Planking your way to better health
- 9 Woman dies at Weston cemetery
- 10 £1m funding bid to make Weston police station redevelopment viable
“We are committed to supporting all members of the community who need our help and we gave the victim every support measure possible to swiftly and effectively bring Lewis to justice and prevent him from causing any harm.
“We hope our victim-focused approach to dealing with this incident will encourage anyone else with concerns to come forward and report them to us.”
Lewis was sentenced at Bristol Crown Court on May 15.