Manhole thief was caught in act
A MANHOLE thief was caught in the act by Cheddar Police.
Daniel Summers was caught by officers at around 2am on July 29 with 20 drain covers in his van.
The 22-year-old, of Brompton Road in Weston, appeared at Bristol Crown Court on February 1.
He pleaded guilty to theft, driving while disqualified and without insurance and two counts of failing to surrender to custody.
Summers was handed an 18-month community order, with a Thinking Skills Programme and a 12-month driving ban.
You may also want to watch:
PC Kat Forrest, of Cheddar Police, said: “We were alerted by a member of the public to two males removing drain covers and placing them in the back of a van.
“The van was stopped near Winscombe, searched and the 20 drain covers were recovered.”
- 1 Two injured in car and motorbike crash in Weston
- 2 Family pub reopens after lockdown transformation
- 3 Thunderstorms forecast for North Somerset
- 4 Weston people wanted for film to promote town
- 5 Weston hospital doctor and cancer nurse recognised in Queen's Birthday Honours list
- 6 Weston mum and daughter shocked after day-long litter pick
- 7 Bristol Balloon Fiesta cancelled at Ashton Court in place of city flypasts
- 8 Where is the best fish and chips shop in Weston-super-Mare?
- 9 Freedom Day: North Somerset responds to lockdown easing delay
- 10 Woman dies at Weston cemetery
Summers told police that the other person who was also arrested had nothing to do with the incident, and he was stealing the manhole and drain covers for scrap metal because he and his girlfriend were behind on rent.