Weston man found guilty of sexual assault and racially-aggravated harassment
- Credit: Archant
A Weston-super-Mare man who squeezed a woman’s ‘left buttock’ and spouted racial abuse has been spared jail.
Mark Morrison, aged 33 of Gloucester Street, was sentenced at North Somerset Courthouse on January 24 after being found guilty of sexual assault and racially-aggravated harassment.
Prosecutor Andrew Escott-Watson said: “The victim was walking down West Street in Bristol on the phone to her boyfriend when she felt someone touch her buttock and give it a strong squeeze, which caused her some pain.
“The victim asked if Morrison had a problem with Polish people at which he responded ‘of course I do, you take jobs from the rest of us’.”
Police arrested Morrison when he called an officer a ‘peasant’ and a ‘racist ****’.
You may also want to watch:
Morrison, who represented himself, said he was ‘very sorry’ for his behaviour.
He was handed a 12-month community order, ordered to pay £1,865 including £660 in compensation, and sign the sex offenders register.
- 1 Family pub reopens after lockdown transformation
- 2 Weston couple awarded British Empire Medal for supporting others in pandemic
- 3 Royal Mail reviewing town sorting office closure
- 4 Weston AFC unveil more Optima Stadium development plans
- 5 Majority of Covid cases in North Somerset caused by Delta variant
- 6 Voice your views on roads, footpaths and cycling routes in North Somerset
- 7 PICTURES: Clear summer skies and solar eclipse in North Somerset
- 8 Green candidate announced for village ward in by-election
- 9 Somerset holiday park owners urge tourists to use common sense