Paedophile teacher to be jailed today
A TEACHER who has admitted systematically abusing pupils in his care over more than five years will today be jailed at Bristol Crown Court.
Nigel Leat taught in a North Somerset school for 15 years, but tough court restrictions mean we are currently unable to reveal which school he worked at.
However, the 51-year-old will is expected to receive a substantial jail term for a catalogue of classroom abuse – much of which he filmed using secret cameras.
Leat has already pleaded guilty to 36 child sex charges against his pupils, all girls aged between six and eight.
Charges include one attempted rape, 31 of sexual assault of different types, one causing a child to engage in sexual activity and one of voyeurism.
You may also want to watch:
There are also single counts of possessing indecent photographs of children, and possessing extreme pornographic images.
Mercury reporters will be in court throughout the day to bring you latest developments, and will reveal details of Leat’s sentence as soon as it is confirmed.
- 1 REVEALED: Three locations chosen for new Aldi stores
- 2 Six people evacuated from fire in town centre
- 3 Family pub reopens after lockdown transformation
- 4 Weston mum and daughter shocked after day-long litter pick
- 5 Two injured in car and motorbike crash in Weston
- 6 Thunderstorms forecast for North Somerset
- 7 Weston people wanted for film to promote town
- 8 Doctor and cancer nurse recognised in Queen's Birthday Honours list
- 9 Urgent call for Covid vaccine volunteers in North Somerset
- 10 Bristol Balloon Fiesta cancelled at Ashton Court in place of city flypasts
Also, thanks to Avon and Somerset Constabulary, once sentence is passed, we will be able to offer a rare insight into the investigation by publishing audio and video footage of Leat’s police interviews.
Keep an eye on this website for updates later today.