Paedophile teacher to be jailed today
A PAEDOPHILE teacher who preyed on his pupils for years - and filming himself sexually abusing them - will be sentenced today.
Nigel Leat taught at Worle’s Hillside First School for 15 years until his arrest last December when one of his victims spoke out for the first time.
Police formed a major task force to investigate his crimes, and unearthed a sickening catalogue of attacks on girls aged six to eight, dating back a number of years.
Leat, aged 51, pleaded guilty to 36 charges, including one attempted rape, 31 indecent assaults, one case of inciting a child to engage in sexual activity and one of voyeurism.
He also admitted possessing indecent photographs of children, and one of possessing extreme pornographic images.
You may also want to watch:
Police found some 453 video clips he had made of himself attacking youngsters from Hillside, many of which took place in the classroom and were filmed with cameras hidden under desks and on bookshelves.
Leat, who lives in Bristol with his teacher wife of 27 years, had been due to be sentenced on Friday, but such was the weight of evidence against him, the case has run over to today.
- 1 Family pub reopens after lockdown transformation
- 2 Two injured in car and motorbike crash in Weston
- 3 Weston people wanted for film to promote town
- 4 Thunderstorms forecast for North Somerset
- 5 Weston hospital doctor and cancer nurse recognised in Queen's Birthday Honours list
- 6 Weston mum and daughter shocked after day-long litter pick
- 7 Bristol Balloon Fiesta cancelled at Ashton Court in place of city flypasts
- 8 Where is the best fish and chips shop in Weston-super-Mare?
- 9 Weston couple awarded British Empire Medal for supporting others in pandemic
- 10 Woman dies at Weston cemetery
His Honour Judge Ford QC at Bristol Crown Court - who on Friday overturned a ruling banning us from naming the school where Leat worked - has warned him to expect a ‘substantial’ custodial sentence.
* Leat’s sentencing hearing is due to begin at 10am. The result will be published on this website as soon as it is revealed.
You can also video footage of Leat’s police interviews by clicking the link on the top right-hand side of this page.