Paramedic left in tears after ‘vile attack’


- Credit: Archant

A WOMAN spat in the face of a female paramedic and made her cry in a ‘vile attack’ when ambulance crews were attempting to treat her at her home.

Magistrates at North Somerset Courthouse heard on Monday how two paramedics went to the home of Kimberley Bundy, aged 19, in Bournville Road, Weston, on April 4.

They had received a call made by Bundy’s friend about her having neck pain and injuries.

The court heard that when paramedics realised Bundy was faking her injuries, they began to pack up their equipment to leave. Bundy then ripped off the neck collar she had been given as part of her treatment and told paramedic Jane Lyall to ‘**** off’.

She then opened a door with force, hitting paramedic Andrew Ceverdon and leaving him with pain in his shoulder.

The court was told that Bundy then spat in Mrs Lyall’s face. The phlegm landed in her mouth and her eye, and was left hanging from her fringe, the court heard.

Police were called, Bundy was arrested and admitted the offences in her interview, saying she was ‘deeply sorry’.

Most Read

The court heard how Bundy has 25 previous convictions, including battery and criminal damage.

Bundy pleaded guilty to two counts of common assault.

District Judge Lynne Matthews said: “This was just natural nastiness, not drink induced.

“It is suggested to me that you are vulnerable. Paramedics are vulnerable when they are called out.

“They attended your home in good faith to help you.

“Doubtless you have experienced the hard side of life, but that doesn’t forgive or explain criminal behaviour.

“The attack on the female paramedic was vile and it left her in tears. You should be thoroughly ashamed of what you did to her. She was only trying to help you.”

Bundy was given a prison sentence for 15 weeks, which was suspended for six months, and was ordered to complete a six-session managing aggression course.

Bundy was also ordered to pay £300 in compensation, as well as £80 in surcharges and £85 costs.