PCSO’s sex abuse on girl after school visit
A POLICE officer has been found guilty of sexually abusing a schoolgirl he met while promoting the force.
PCSO Lawrence Dunn was found guilty of eight separate offences relating to sexual abuse of a teenage girl by a jury at Taunton Crown Court on October 4.
Detective Constable Becky Maddison, of Avon and Somerset Constabulary said she was ‘disappointed’ that Dunn had exploited his position within the police force.
Dunn, who resigned once the allegations came to light, had denied nine counts relating to sexual abuse of a minor.
But a jury found him guilty of six counts of sexual activity and two counts of attempted sexual activity involving a girl under the age of 16 between 2006 and February 2011.
You may also want to watch:
He was found not guilty of a third charge of attempted sexual activity.
A spokesman for the Crown Prosecution Service said Dunn had met his victim, who cannot be named for legal reasons, during a routine school visit.
- 1 Somerset holiday park owners urge tourists to use common sense
- 2 Where is the best fish and chips shop in Weston-super-Mare?
- 3 Music acts to perform next to Weston's Birnbeck Pier
- 4 Covid-19: Number of Delta variant cases in North Somerset
- 5 Beauty spot damaged as visitors use nature reserve as toilet
- 6 Beautiful three-bedroom penthouse, with panoramic views over Weston
- 7 Euro 2020: 7 places to watch Euro 2020 in Weston
- 8 Planking your way to better health
- 9 Woman dies at Weston cemetery
- 10 £1m funding bid to make Weston police station redevelopment viable
DC Maddison also criticised Dunn for not sparing his teenage victim the pain of giving evidence in court.
She said: “The court heard compelling evidence at the trial, which highlighted the gross abuse of his position of trust.
“Dunn had every opportunity to plead guilty following this investigation but instead put his victim through the trauma of a trial.
“We are disappointed with the actions of a man who was in a position of trust in our communities.
“We hope this case sends out a stern message that any inappropriate conduct from officers will be fully investigated.”
Dunn, of Axbridge Road, Burnham, committed the offences despite undergoing the mandatory vetting checks all police officers and staff are required to go through.
The 48-year-old – who worked in Bridgwater - will be sentenced in the coming weeks once medical reports are filed. He will also be forced to sign the sex offenders’ register.