Serial criminal rammed police cars in attempted getaway

A SERIAL criminal rammed two police cars and led officers on a terrifying chase around Weston to avoid being arrested for a string of burglaries.

In February this year 23-year-old Ryan Singleton deliberately smashed into two police cars blocking him and accomplice Dean Mason, aged 19, into the Bleadon road where they had burgled a home.

After mounting the kerb to make their escape Singleton, of Meadow Street, Weston, led officers on a dangerous chase.

Stolen goods, including a washing machine taken from the Channel Heights home, fell into the road along the way as the van travelled along Old Church Road, Uphill Road South and Lynx Crescent.

After eventually ditching the white tipper van, Singleton and Mason fled to the beach in Uphill where officers arrested them hiding near the sand dunes.

You may also want to watch:

Officers later found evidence they had raided a second home in Brambles Road, Burnham, where they had taken �13,000 of goods.

Kate Brunner, prosecuting, said the confrontation had occurred after homeowners disturbed the pair during the Bleadon burglary, and called police as the raiders fled.

Most Read

She said: “Police blocked the junction at the end of Channel Heights, but the van accelerated and rammed into the rear of the vehicle. It was shunted sideways.

“The van then reversed at speed and rammed into another police car, colliding with the bonnet.

“It then rammed the first one another time.

“The officers could see Singleton snarling.

“Officers gave chase and the van nearly lost control on a number of occasions.”

Mason has previously appeared in court 13 times for 29 offences, while Singleton had already been before the court 16 times for 44 offences.

Both men were made by His Honour Judge Lambert to apologise publicly to their families and victims in court.

He added: “You each share a very heavy burden of responsibility.

“The offences are so serious that fines and community orders cannot be justified.”

Bristol Crown Court heard that while Mason admitted he burgled to support a drug habit, Singleton had done it because of ‘greed’.

Mason was sentenced to 18 months in a young offenders’ institute for two counts of burglary, with a further 13 taken into consideration.

Singleton was jailed for 27 months for two counts of burglary, with another five taken into consideration and one count of dangerous driving.

He was also banned from driving for two years.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter