Suspended jail term for thieving pub worker
A FORMER pub worker has been handed a suspended 26-week jail term after helping himself to thousands of pounds of bar takings.
Steven Smith was an employee at the Bucket and Space pub in Yew Tree Drive when he committed the theft on September 27.
North Somerset Courthouse this week heard 45-year-old Smith, of Longridge Way, swiped �4,198 from the Orchard Group-owned watering hole.
He pleaded guilty to a single charge of theft, and was sentenced to 26 weeks in prison, suspended for six months.
The bench ruled a custodial sentence was necessary because the offence involved a ‘significant breach of trust involving a large amount of money’.
You may also want to watch:
They also said the situation had been aggravated by the fact Smith had previous convictions for a similar offences.
Smith was also ordered to repay the �4,198 in full, and foot the �85 court bill.
- 1 Weston mum and daughter shocked after day-long litter pick
- 2 Two injured in car and motorbike crash in Weston
- 3 Family pub reopens after lockdown transformation
- 4 Six people evacuated from fire in town centre
- 5 Thunderstorms forecast for North Somerset
- 6 REVEALED: Three locations chosen for new Aldi stores
- 7 Weston people wanted for film to promote town
- 8 Doctor and cancer nurse recognised in Queen's Birthday Honours list
- 9 Urgent call for Covid vaccine volunteers in North Somerset
- 10 Freedom Day: North Somerset responds to lockdown easing delay