Takeaway staff member scared by racial abuse
- Credit: Archant
A TAKEAWAY employee was racially abused by a drunk customer because he refused to give him a free meal.
Brian Munson threatened to attack Kevin Emanuel when the Miss Millie’s worker refused to give him free food, North Somerset Courthouse was told on Monday.
Munson visited the Locking Road store in the early hours of March 15 and demanded to be fed for nothing.
When refused, the 41-year-old told Mr Emanuel: “You black Indian, I will knock you out. Come out, you black African, you don’t scare me.”
Police arrested Munson at the scene and found cannabis, weighing 1.3g, on him.
You may also want to watch:
In a statement to police, Mr Emanuel told officers he had been left feeling ‘scared’ by the abuse.
Owen Strickland, defending, said Munson could not remember the incident.
- 1 Revo Kitchen opens in Weston
- 2 Man in hospital after stabbing in Weston
- 3 REVEALED: Three locations chosen for new Aldi stores
- 4 Planning application submitted for £30million second school site
- 5 North Somerset Covid cases increase by 170%
- 6 Yatton pub releases full English breakfast fragrance
- 7 Family pub reopens after lockdown transformation
- 8 Somerset holiday park owners urge tourists to use common sense
- 9 Two injured in car and motorbike crash in Weston
- 10 Six people evacuated from fire in town centre
He added: “Munson wanted to go back and apologise but he thought it might aggravate matters.”
District Judge Lynne Matthews said Munson was fortunate Mr Emanuel did not hit him.
She said: “This was mean, nasty behaviour. Fortunately it was limited to words otherwise we would be dealing with a different charge. Thankfully the employee did not rise to the bait. Some people may have given you a good hiding.”
Munson, of Albert Quadrant in Weston, admitted one charge of possessing cannabis and one of racially provoking violence.
He was fined £36 and £150 respectively. He must pay £50 compensation to Mr Emanuel plus £85 costs and a £20 victim surcharge. The drugs will be destroyed.