Teacher ‘filmed sex abuse in class’
A 50-YEAR-OLD Weston primary school teacher has appeared in court to face allegations that he filmed himself abusing a girl in his classroom.
Court rules mean the Mercury is not allowed to name the man or the school where he has worked for 15 years, but we can reveal he is facing four separate charges.
North Somerset Courthouse prosecutors yesterday charged him with two counts of abusing a position of trust, and two of sexually assaulting a girl aged six to eight.
He was arrested on Monday after a seven-year-old pupil told her parents he had been touching her inappropriately in class.
Thirty officers assigned to the case – which has been declared a ‘major incident’ by police – searched his home, computer and classroom.
You may also want to watch:
They have confiscated 20 memory sticks, and prosecutor Kelly Marshall revealed one of them contained video footage of a man, which police believe is the teacher, touching a youngster inappropriately during class.
Experts believe the footage was filmed from underneath a school desk.
- 1 Revo Kitchen opens in Weston
- 2 Man in hospital after stabbing in Weston
- 3 REVEALED: Three locations chosen for new Aldi stores
- 4 North Somerset Covid cases increase by 170%
- 5 Somerset holiday park owners urge tourists to use common sense
- 6 Planning application submitted for £30million second school site
- 7 Two injured in car and motorbike crash in Weston
- 8 Weston son thanks his 'hard working father' for Father's Day
- 9 Six people evacuated from fire in town centre
- 10 Yatton pub releases full English breakfast fragrance
The man denied all allegations when he was interviewed by police, but has yet to enter a formal court plea.
However, prosecutors revealed he has received two previous warnings relating to his conduct at the school where he works.
In 2004 he was interviewed by the headteacher over concerns raised by parents, and in 2008 he received a verbal warning after a teaching assistant aired fears of her own.
The teacher has been remanded in custody to appear via video link at Bristol Magistrates Court on Wednesday.