Terror suspect Darren Osborne remanded on murder charge
- Credit: Archant
A former Weston-super-Mare man accused of carrying out a premeditated terrorist attack on Muslims as they left a mosque has been remanded in custody on murder and attempted murder charges.
Darren Osborne, aged 47, was arrested in the early hours of Monday morning after allegedly ramming his van into worshippers on Seven Sisters Road in Finsbury Park, north London.
One man, 51-year-old Makram Ali, died from multiple injuries, while 11 others were injured in the incident, including two who remain in critical condition in hospital.
No details were given in court about the number of attempted murder charges Osborne faces.
The unemployed father-of-four, currently of no fixed address in Cardiff, spoke only to confirm his identity when he appeared before Westminster Magistrates Court this afternoon afternoon (Friday).
The suspect, who seemed to have a bruise around his left eye, will appear at the Old Bailey on Tuesday for a preliminary hearing.
He had been questioned by police for more than four days since his arrest, before the Met Police confirmed earlier today that he had been charged with terrorism-related murder.
Osborne was born in Singapore but grew up in Weston, where he attended Broadoak Mathematics and Computing College.
You may also want to watch:
He still has family and friends in the town, including his mother Christine, who described his arrest earlier this week as ‘every mother’s worst nightmare’.
- 1 Family pub reopens after lockdown transformation
- 2 Weston AFC unveil more Optima Stadium development plans
- 3 Weston couple awarded British Empire Medal for supporting others in pandemic
- 4 Weston people wanted for film to promote town
- 5 Royal Mail reviewing town sorting office closure
- 6 Voice your views on roads, footpaths and cycling routes in North Somerset
- 7 Majority of Covid cases in North Somerset caused by Delta variant
- 8 Green candidate announced for village ward in by-election
- 9 PICTURES: Clear summer skies and solar eclipse in North Somerset
- 10 Where is the best fish and chips shop in Weston-super-Mare?