Police sergeant to face trial for having sex with woman while on duty
- Credit: Archant
A police sergeant accused of having sex with a woman while on duty in Weston on Christmas Eve has been bailed to await a trial.
Sgt Lee Cocking, of Labourham Way in Cheddar, was charged with corrupt and improper exercise of police powers and privileges by engaging in sexual activity with a woman while on duty in 2017.
On Tuesday, district judge Joto Bopa Rai formally committed Sgt Cocking to Gloucester Crown Court for trial.
She told him he will have to attend the crown court for a plea and directions hearing on January 9.
Sgt Cocking made a brief appearance before Cheltenham Magistrates on Tuesday but said nothing other than to confirm his name, age and address.
You may also want to watch:
The charge was not put to him at the hearing because it can be dealt with only at crown court level.
The sergeant gave no indication of plea to the charge.
- 1 Man charged with rape and sexual assaults
- 2 Man suffers head injuries in Weston robbery
- 3 Mini tornado does damage in Weston
- 4 Rapid Covid testing service goes mobile to reach more people across North Somerset
- 5 Tributes pour in for ‘dedicated family man’ who died in mountain fall
- 6 What can I do when Covid lockdown eases on May 17?
- 7 Banwell traffic will soon be 'a thing of the past'
- 8 Jobs boom as Weston firm looks to expand
- 9 Huge six-bedroom house with flat on Weston seafront
- 10 Weston pub launches eating challenge to win £100 bar tab
The court was told the offence was allegedly committed by the officer in Weston on December 24, 2017.