Cuts will be even worse than expected - warning

PUBLISHED: 17:30 15 December 2010

(c) Adam Gault

MORE swingeing cuts will have to be made by North Somerset Council than first expected in the wake of the Government’s spending review.

The authority expected its funding to be slashed by £12.6million by Whitehall but it was announced on Monday evening that the figure has risen to £17.4million.

Council leader Nigel Ashton told members of the shocking news at an executive meeting on Tuesday.

He said: “It would appear our settlement is even worse than what we were told.

“However you manage to measure or categorise it North Somerset seems to come out worse than other areas.”

Council staff had been working hard to meet the expected budget deficit - and had come up with hundreds of proposals to shave £15.8 million off their budget for the coming year.

These cost cutting plans included shedding jobs and trimming spending in every council department.

The authority had budgeted for a local government settlement in the region of £76.6million in the next year.

And although the council only expected to receive a funding slash of £12.6 million in the 2011/12 period, it budgeted for 15.8 million in case the Government cuts were more severe than the authority’s estimate.

But despite these extra measures, the council will now have to go back to the drawing board to find another £4.8 million after the local authority budget cuts were revealed this week.

North Somerset Council had said it was ‘ahead of the curve’ in terms of prospective cuts – and had already made considerable savings in the past few years.

Cllr Ashton added: “Having made £36 million worth of savings in the last three-and-a-half years, to face another £18 million in the next year is totally unacceptable.

“All directors may need to bring forward items that have been budgeted as future savings into year one.”

Cllr Ashton added that he would be asking for a meeting with the Communities and Local Government department to ‘argue the case’ as well as asking for the help of Weston MP John Penrose and North Somerset MP Liam Fox.

The council will be holding a consultation of the proposed £15.8million funding cuts, and it has until next month to find the extra savings before the final budget is set in February.

More from Weston Mercury

15:38

North Somerset’s two MPs have both pledged their allegiance to Prime Minister Theresa May.

Read more
56 minutes ago

A newly-formed choral ensemble will perform festive carols this week.

Read more

A Weston-born composer provided the music for Prince Charles’s 70th birthday dinner.

Read more
17:00

Shoppers will be able to park in Weston-super-Mare for free in the run-up to Christmas.

Read more
North Somerset Council Weston-super-Mare

A decision on whether almost 50 homes will be built on an industrial estate will be made soon.

Read more
11:23

Planning a wedding? The Royal Hotel’s wedding coordinator Haley Montgomery shares her top tips on winter weddings and more.

Read more

Outstanding building projects were recognised at an award ceremony at Weston Museum last week.

Read more

Pupils and teachers from Locking Preschool hosted a Christmas fair at the village hall this weekend.

Read more

The winner of this year’s Turnip Prize is a plastic dog on top of a bowl full of jelly.

Read more
11:00

Excited children spent the morning making Christingles during a messy church service in Weston.

Read more
Weston-super-Mare

Most Read News

Read Online

Image
Read the Weston Worle and Somerset Mercury e-edition E-edition

Local Weather

Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 7°C

min temp: -1°C

Useful Links

Advertise in the paper
Submit a Story
Subscribe to the paper
Competitions
Send Your Letters
Order Photos
Family notices
iwitness24
Facebook
Twitter
Reader Travel

Family Notices 24

Newsletter Sign Up

Weston Mercury twice-weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists