Deaf Awareness Week activities in Weston
- Credit: Citizens Advice
The support available to deaf people is being showcased through a week of events in Clevedon and Weston.
Deaf Awareness Week runs until Friday and its theme this year is Welcome To My World.
On Monday a team of hearing dogs were out, while today (Wednesday) organisations such as Citizens Advice North Somerset will showcase what they can do to help.
Avon Fire and Rescue Service will also be present to discuss smoke alarms and Hearing Dogs For Deaf People will show how they train animals to alert people of danger.
Tomorrow (Thursday), a celebration day, featuring games and lip-reading activities, will be held at the Sovereign Shopping Centre. Details of courses will also be promoted from 10am-2pm
You may also want to watch:
And on Friday a communication day to assist deaf people with sign language will be provided by Weston College at Castlewood in Clevedon.
Other activities planned this month include:
- 1 Weston pub to undergo renovations to restore 19th century look
- 2 PICTURES: Runners brave the elements at Weston Super Half
- 3 Weston will get a bowling alley next year
- 4 North Somerset risks 43,000 false-negative PCRs after lab mix up
- 5 Wheelchair Rugby Gold medallist surprises Weston pupils
- 6 Council rejected for grant to preserve Iron Age monument
- 7 Bleadon-cold: Council's gritters return with sustainable fuel
- 8 Weston families 'deciding between keeping children warm or fed'
- 9 John Penrose column: Goodbye to Sir David Amess
- 10 Stone Roses songs to be recreated in Weston
* Monday - hard of hearing group meeting in the community room at Vision North Somerset in Neva Road from 2-4pm. Call or text 07917 265 576 if you would like to join them.
* May 16 - Communication Café at Coffee#1, in High Street, from 10am to noon.
* May 21 - deaf pub are meeting at Sass in South Parade from 7pm for a sociable evening communicating in sign language.