Derelict buildings home to fire
PUBLISHED: 09:00 12 May 2012
SEVERAL derelict buildings subject to calls to have them made safe or knocked down were hit by fire at the weekend.
A blaze was started in buildings in Weston’s Langford Road highlighted by residents as a ‘dangerous eyesore’.
Three fire engines were called to the premises on the Potteries estate on Saturday at about 3pm.
The buildings, which used to be a printworks, a car showroom and a theatre scenery-making premises, have long been disused.
Crews tackled a rubbish fire, which was thought to have been started deliberately, using high-pressure hose reels.
Nearby resident Teresa Inglis said: “It just proves that something needs to be done as soon as possible.
“There was really thick smoke. Luckily no-one got hurt and the fire brigade brought it under control very quickly.
“We were all just glad it happened when it did and not when we were in bed.”
Neighbours highlighted in the Mercury in March the need to do something to make the buildings safer or have them demolished.
Mrs Inglis said: “They are not only a run-down eyesore, they are dangerous.
“My concern is that they are used by drug users, drunks and homeless people.
“But children go in them too and there is a bad accident waiting to happen.”
Her concerns were raised with the police and the council last year, but the buildings are still standing.
A council spokesman said: “We have been down and looked at this site. It is an eyesore and very untidy and we haven’t been able to identify any immediate danger.
“This is a very large site and we would ask anyone with any concerns to contact us with an exact location and we will investigate further.”
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Weston Mercury. Click the link in the orange box above for details.