Car destroyed in ‘deliberate’ fire on New Year’s Day
- Credit: Archant
A car and outbuilding were ‘deliberately’ set on fire in the early hours of New Year’s Day.
Crews from Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service were called to Cliff Street, in Cheddar, at 4.09am.
The car was destroyed in the blaze.
A fire service spokesman said: “Fire control immediately mobilised one fire appliance from Cheddar and one fire appliance from Wells to attend this incident.
“On arrival the incident commander confirmed one vehicle well alight and the fire had spread to near by outbuilding . Crew got to work with two breathing apparatus, one hose reel jet, one safety jet and a thermal imaging camera.
You may also want to watch:
“The crews also gained access to the outbuilding where the fire had spread to the gable end and timber joist to prevent further fire spread.
“The incident commander requested for the police to attend this incident as this is believed to the a deliberate ignition.
- 1 Disruptions to your journey by car across North Somerset
- 2 Temporary closure of Weston's Marine Lake
- 3 GP surgery plans labelled 'unacceptable' by councillors
- 4 LOVE ISLAND 2021: Weston's Jake Cornish makes it official with Liberty
- 5 Manchester United legends and All Stars put on nine-goal thriller at Cheddar
- 6 Green Party candidate elected to council following by-election win
- 7 Owners address concerns raised over Weston donkeys during heatwave
- 8 Popular Weston restaurant closes after nearly 60 years
- 9 Overnight A&E closures continue at hospital
- 10 Opening date announced for new supermarket
“The vehicle was a hundred per cent damaged by the fire and the outbuilding suffered 10 per cent fire damage.”