Crews tackle house fire beneath floorboards

Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service were called to the scene.

Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service were called to the scene. - Credit: Archant

Three fire crews tackled a blaze at a house last night (Thursday) after electronics beneath floorboards caught fire.

Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service crews from Cheddar and Burnham-on-Sea were called to East End in Weare at 7.21pm after the homeowner reported a large plume of smoke in a bedroom.

Firefighters soon got to work on the blaze, stripping back floorboards with small tools before extinguishing the electrical fire with a hose reel jet.

A spokesman said: “Crews made steady progress and by 8.17pm had the incident under control.

“The fire, which started accidentally, was extinguished by four breathing apparatus wearers using one hose reel jet, a thermal imaging camera and small tools.

“The affected floorboards were stripped back, cut away and removed, and once crews were satisfied that there were no hotspots, made the area safe before handing duty of care over to the owner.

“There were no casualties.”

Most Read

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter