Distressing TV pictures of famine prompts Travis, 8, to organise walk
PUBLISHED: 19:00 12 July 2011
SHOCKING photographs of children starving in the Horn of Africa have inspired one Weston schoolboy to raise cash to help.
Travis Druce, aged eight, made a pledge to help after seeing the struggle of the people in the drought-hit region on national news last week.
After first planning to sell all his toys, the Uphill Primary School pupil’s mother Vicky urged him instead to launch a family sponsored walk in the town this month.
The pair have now contacted primary schools in the region to advertise the event, which will start at the toll road in Kewstoke at 11am on July 27.
Money raised will go to the Disasters Emergency Committee East Africa Appeal.
Vicky, aged 42, said she hoped dozens of families would join in the event or support by donating cash.
The Devonshire Road resident said: “We were watching the news and Travis became upset about the plight of people in the African famine.
“He told me he really wanted to help the people photographed and we thought of some ideas to raise money.
“He first wanted to sell his toys, but then I thought we could get more people involved if we organised a walk.
“His willingness to help those far away has made me very proud and committed to the idea.”
So far, the UK has pledged £38million in food aid to the disaster, while the British public have donated more than £1million.
Aid agencies believe it is the worst drought to hit the region of countries in 60 years and have created a ‘humanitarian emergency’.
Fearing a wide-scale famine, they have called for an international aid.
The countries impacted by the drought include Kenya, Ethiopia and Somalia.
Anyone who wants to join Travis’ fundraising walk should call Vicky on 01934 626502.