District council consultations ‘not good enough’
PUBLISHED: 11:00 04 July 2016
A Highbridge councillor has hit out at Sedgemoor District Council by saying its ‘lack of transparency’ is concerning for upcoming developments in the town.
The district council is currently seeking feedback on a number of options for housing sites in Burnham and Highbridge.
Nick Tait, Sedgemoor’s planning service manager, was scheduled to speak at Burnham and Highbridge Town Council’s planning meeting last week but his appearance was cancelled.
Highbridge councillor John Parkes said he was disappointed.
He said: “To me, it just shows a lack of transparency. I think Sedgemoor needs to re-think its consultation policy. Quite frankly, it is not good enough.”
The district council hosted a public consultation in Burnham on Monday and will host a second next week in Highbridge.
Mr Tait said: “I would have had an opportunity to brief the councillors on the sites, which could potentially be developments in the Burnham and Highbridge area.
“It is good for councillors to know before public consultations but it was very much a decision made by them. These public meetings are to state the positives and any issues.”
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Weston Mercury. Click the link in the orange box below for details.