Disused property fire pours smoke over town
PUBLISHED: 14:00 10 May 2014
SMOKE plumed over Weston last week after a derelict town centre building went up in flames.
A fire, at a disused property in Back Street, began in the evening of May 2 and soon spread to a neighbouring property which was being refurbished, and four crews were required to tackle the blaze.
Officers were called at 18.41 on Friday to the fire, putting up a cordon in the road until the fire was extinguished at around 9.30pm.
No one was hurt in the incident, which saw six firefighters use breathing apparatus to check both properties were empty before proceeding.
An Avon and Somerset Fire spokesman told The Mercury that the cause of the fire was yet to be established.