Unbeaten Dodge lined up to fight English Title Final Eliminator against Carr
- Credit: Archant
The British Boxing Board of Control have announced and put forward Dean Dodge to fight in an English title final eliminator against Southern Area champion Danny Carr.
Dodge is unbeaten after 10 fights, defeating Sean Davis in at Wellsprings Leisure Centre in Taunton in his most recent bout in February to make it seven wins in a row.
And if Dodge overcomes Carr, who is also undefeated, he will have the right to fight for the English title.
“It’s really exciting times. Dean has worked a long time now and kept himself in the gym,” said close friend and coach Dean Lewis.
“He has come through 10 fights undefeated and we are working towards the goal of a Southern Area title shot.
“We are killing two birds with one stone here. Danny Carr is the Southern Area title holder at the minute, so we will be competing for the Southern Area title.
“It’s a final eliminator for the English title which is another fight we fancy. It’s really good times, all the hard work is paying off.”
- 1 Thugs targeted elderly couple's motorhome as they slept during Weston Air Show
- 2 Man jailed over theft and fraud at Worle butchers
- 3 WATCH: Moment unlikely heroine saves the day at Weston Air Show
- 4 Rail workers stage walkout in Weston for better working conditions and job security
- 5 Land near railway station could be sold for housing
- 6 PICTURES: Weston Air Festival and Armed Forces Weekend 2022
- 7 French court claims Jill Dando may have been 'murdered by mistake'
- 8 Weston to celebrate Pride with style this weekend
- 9 Census 2022: North Somerset's population grows by 7pc since 2011
- 10 Police appeal after acid attack on woman in Weston
The fight is yet to be arranged due to the coronavirus pandemic and piecing together the finer details, but the bout is estimated to be held between December and February.
And Lewis says it will be a ‘good test’ for Dodge, adding: “It’s a real 50-50 fight. Danny Carr is a good boxer, he won the Southern Area title in his last fight and he’s going to be as hungry as Dodge to move on to the next step now.
“It’s a great fight for both lads, I’m pretty sure it will be televised, which is good.
“We are just waiting on his manager Mo Prior and MTK who manages Danny Carr to do a deal when the fight will be on. Naturally we would like it to be down our way, be down south which Mo Prior will try to sort out. We are going there to get the win.”
Lewis was also full of praise for Mark ‘Mo’ Prior, who Dodge signed a new manager’s contract with in August.
“Mo is already doing his job,” Lewis added.
“He’s already proved he’s doing the right things to get Dean in the positions he needs to move on. This is the next step up the ladder.
“He’s doing a great job already and the future is bright.”