Double amputee to start emtreme-sports fitness vlog
- Credit: Toby French
A double below-the-knee amputee wants to change people’s views about those with disabilities through an extreme-sports fitness vlog.
Toby French, of Highbridge, is looking to start a vlog to document his experiences while trying out different sports – without using any special equipment.
The 28-year-old is hoping to take his GoPro on many escapades, including filming his adventures while mountain biking, skiing, surfing and climbing.
Toby said: “I was inspired to start the vlog one day after going for a run – when the sleeves which hold up my legs started to fall off.
“I decided I wanted to start doing things which other people can do, and to spur on others with similar disabilities to be encouraged to think in the same way. I am not a professional in any sport – so hopefully this experience will teach me a few things which I can relay to people who may be looking to get involved in the same activities along the way.”
Through his fight with depression, Toby has also wanted to inspire people to take on challenges to help benefit them.
He adds: “When for most of your life you are told you cannot do something – it has only made me want it to do it even more.
- 1 Named: 52 people fined for dropping cigarettes and dogs off leads
- 2 Rat-infested house used for drug dealing boarded up
- 3 Weston business launches recruitment drive
- 4 HGV crashes into BUILDING in Banwell
- 5 How you can keep your mobile charged at Glastonbury 2022
- 6 Weston primary school students 'heartbroken' after vandals strike
- 7 Public urged to review sites allocated for housing in North Somerset
- 8 Brilliant Bailey signs for high-flying Bristol Rovers
- 9 Teen, 16, among football fans BANNED from matches
- 10 Weston's new mayor and deputy formally elected at council ceremony
“I want to change people’s views about those who are disabled, and to prove I can take on any extreme challenge without it needed to be adapted for me.”
Toby recently took part in Bristol’s 5km and the South West’s Tough Mudder event – which requires people to run through an obstacle-packed course while drenched in mud.
Toby is also looking for people who run extreme-sports courses and fitness lessons to get in touch.
He said: “Anyone who has any extreme hobbies and takes part in sports which are quite out there I would be happy to hear from – as I need to find a way to get my vlog up and running soon.”
The vlog will document any high octane sport which Toby chooses to take on, and people will get the chance to engage with his videos through his attached blog.
He works for a security company during the day and now wants to take his passion for sports to the next level.
To get in touch with Toby about sports courses and lessons, email email@example.com