Drivers and school helpers needed
VOLUNTEER drivers and school helpers are needed in Weston.
The charity Retire into Action is appealing for drivers, preferably aged over 50 but this is not essential, to sign up to its register of support drivers for the elderly.
Volunteers will then be called upon when transport for vulnerable or disabled people is needed.
Organiser Victor Rawlings said: “The aim is to create a free register to help the residents of Weston who are in need.
“It’s not a free taxi and is mainly for hospital or surgery appointments but it can help people in isolation to meet up with a friend.
You may also want to watch:
“Many communities have this sort of service but Weston surprisingly doesn’t.”
The frequency of the journeys is determined by the volunteer, who must have a clean driving licence, and mileage allowance is offered.
- 1 Rapid coronavirus tests offered to people in North Somerset
- 2 Contemporary living in a pretty North Somerset village
- 3 Alliance Homes to deliver 40 affordable properties on Somerset housing development
- 4 More support needed from Government for pubs to survive
- 5 Restaurant donates meals to key workers, teachers and pupils
- 6 Pump track project appeals for further community support
- 7 New hope in third lockdown due to vaccine
- 8 Council seeks photographer for heritage project
- 9 Vacant care home to be transformed into seafront flats
- 10 Mass rollout of Oxford vaccine begins in North Somerset
Volunteers are also sought to help underachieving primary school children in Weston.
To arrange an interview or for more details call Victor on 01275 855465.