Beauty skills honoured in British squad
A FORMER beauty apprentice of Weston College was awarded a medallion of excellence at the WorldSkills competition, in London.
Hayley Wright, aged 20, of Bridgewater beat a great deal of UK competition over the last three years to be honoured as a member of the British squad. She won joint eighth place at WorldSkills.
She said: “It was the most amazing experience of my life. It was physically and mentally tough but the atmosphere was mind-blowing.
“The last three years of competing at UK Skills and WorldSkills has been a life changing roller-coaster experience.”
The WorldSkills competition is the largest international skills competition where young people from around the globe compete to be the best of the best in their chosen skill.
You may also want to watch:
Hayley competed in the four-day skills test, completing 22 hours as more than 200,000 visitors watched.
Around 5,500 young people competed to be chosen for the British squad and Hayley was congratulated at the House of Commons and at Buckingham Palace.
- 1 Where is the best fish and chips shop in Weston-super-Mare?
- 2 Somerset holiday park owners urge tourists to use common sense
- 3 Music acts to perform next to Weston's Birnbeck Pier
- 4 Covid-19: Number of Delta variant cases in North Somerset
- 5 Beautiful three-bedroom penthouse, with panoramic views over Weston
- 6 Beauty spot damaged as visitors use nature reserve as toilet
- 7 Woman dies at Weston cemetery
- 8 Tuk-tuks to provide tourist information service in Weston
- 9 Hornets and Weston excited by 2021-22 season fixtures release
- 10 New date for Trucks at the Beach announced
Weston College’s head of apprentices in beauty, Tanita Veal, said: “Hayley is an inspiration to all our apprentices. I’m delighted she is coming back to the college to work with competition training.”