School anniversary gala cancelled
- Credit: Archant
A gala evening to celebrate a North Somerset school’s 60th anniversary has been cancelled.
Churchill Academy, which is celebrating diamond jubilee this year after opening in 1957, had hoped to celebrate the landmark with alumni this month.
But the event has been cancelled due to low ticket sales ‘despite great enthusiasm, interest and spirit around the celebration’.
The school will still hold an open evening for former students to tour the school site and its new facilities this weekend.
A school statement said: “Unfortunately, the planned gala evening for the diamond jubilee has had to be cancelled.
You may also want to watch:
“The school will still be open on September 23 between 5-6.30pm for past alumni to come back and visit if people wish to.
“The school will continue to celebrate our 60th anniversary with work across the academy and commemorations within different faculties.”
- 1 RNLI believes return to Birnbeck Island 'the most credible option' for Weston
- 2 Weston town centre to undergo 'facelift' next month
- 3 CNM Estates purchase Birnbeck Pier with new company
- 4 Weston woman celebrates 105th birthday
- 5 Parents 'in tears' over Weston school's generous fuel fund
- 6 Weston site to offer more coronavirus tests for people with symptoms
- 7 Housing groups preparing application to build medical centre in village
- 8 Weston café raising funds to deliver meals to frontline workers
- 9 Work begins on Weston's £20million broadband investment
- 10 Pharmacy near Weston begins Covid vaccinations