GCSEs: Churchill Academy delight at exam success
PUPILS at Churchill Academy are celebrating ‘excellent’ GCSE results this morning following an increase in the exam pass rate.
The proportion of students obtaining five or more A* to C grades rose to 83 per cent, but results in English and Maths dropped.
Headteacher Barry Wratten said: “I’m hugely encouraged by these results, however we are looking at why we have not improved on last year’s 5+ A* to C grades including English and Maths – this came out lower than anticipated and we’ll have to analyse the reasons carefully.”
He expected the vast majority of the 251 students collecting results to stay at the academy’s sixth form.
Rosie Pegge, who will return in September, achieved 11A* and said she was pleasantly surprised after opening the envelope.
You may also want to watch:
She said: “I am so happy. I wasn’t confident at all but I’m looking forward to studying Spanish, maths, psychology and economics here next year.
Lorraine Mckay, director of student welfare, said she was very proud of the pupils’ achievements.
- 1 'It was just horrible' says Tiktok influencer after visit to Weston beach
- 2 Weston-super-Mare's Jake Cornish in Love Island 2021
- 3 Weston son thanks his 'hard working father' for Father's Day
- 4 Large house and grounds in a favoured semi-rural Weston village
- 5 Revo Kitchen opens in Weston
- 6 Man in hospital after stabbing in Weston
- 7 REVEALED: Three locations chosen for new Aldi stores
- 8 Radical overhaul of bus network could bring £50m boost to West
- 9 North Somerset Covid cases increase by 170%
- 10 Two injured in car and motorbike crash in Weston
“They are a charming year group, very creative and thoroughly deserve these excellent results,” she said.
Mr Wratten believes the new academy school will continue to build on the good results they have achieved, both with GCSE and A-level students.
“Overall, these are very positive results and we will be welcoming many highly motivated students back into our Sixth Form.
“It is testimony to their hard work and the inspiration of their teachers that there are so many happy faces here as the results are collected.
“I would also like to thank these students’ parents for their support and encouragement over the years in what is a very effective partnership.”