New arts award for musicians
YOUNG musicians across North Somerset have received a boost with the news that they can take part in an exciting scheme.
North Somerset Music Service has joined Arts Award Welcome, which supports young people working towards the Arts Award, a national qualification.
Those working towards the achievement can take part in performing, working behind the scenes, meeting arts professionals, mentoring other young performers, understanding leadership roles and undertaking arts work experience placements.
North Somerset Music Service is mostly known for teaching thousands of children and young people to play instruments and sing with its team of 50 teachers who visit schools weekly.
The team also runs steel pan, taiko, gamelan and samba workshops.
You may also want to watch:
It delivers sessions on African, Indian and British folk music, as well as teaching young people to make music with computers.
Instead of only taking part in the activities that the Music Service delivers, Arts Award students can learn about what goes on behind the scenes to make the vast range of programmes happen.
- 1 Weston-super-Mare's Jake Cornish in Love Island 2021
- 2 'It was just horrible' says Tiktok influencer after visit to Weston beach
- 3 Large house and grounds in a favoured semi-rural Weston village
- 4 Revo Kitchen opens in Weston
- 5 Weston son thanks his 'hard working father' for Father's Day
- 6 Man in hospital after stabbing in Weston
- 7 Radical overhaul of bus network could bring £50m boost to West
- 8 REVEALED: Three locations chosen for new Aldi stores
- 9 Conservative candidate chosen for by-election
- 10 Two injured in car and motorbike crash in Weston
They can help workshop leaders, assist at events, get involved in planning, talk to musicians and attend Music Service concerts for free.
Music service manager Mark Trego said: “In order to obtain an arts award, young people have to achieve a number of agreed goals at different levels that may include experiencing, taking part in, understanding and contributing to arts activities.
“The music service is in an almost unique position to help any arts award students with a particular interest in music to do this, so we are really pleased that the arts council has recognised this by making us the first organisation in North Somerset with Arts Award Welcome status.”