Oscars style celebration in Weston
AN OSCARS style celebration will take place in Weston tomorrow night (Thurs).
The achievements of some of the most outstanding Weston College students will be marked with an awards ceremony at the Winter Gardens.
About 250 students, staff, sponsors and specially-invited guests will gather to see who has won the coveted awards which reflect success in all aspects of college life.
The Celebration of Success will include categories such as student of the year in subjects from computing, art and design to business, engineering and hairdressing. There are also categories for those on apprenticeship schemes, and also for companies engaged with Weston College in business and training partnerships.
This year’s event coincides with the 10th anniversary of principal and chief executive Dr Paul Phillips’ arrival at Weston.
You may also want to watch:
When Dr Phillips arrived the college’s academic standards were low, but in a decade it has become one of the top-performing further education colleges in the South West, and now turns over �32million with surplus.
He was also awarded the OBE for services to further education in the recent New Year’s honours list.
- 1 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 2 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 3 Sharp rise in coronavirus cases in over 60s
- 4 Local Plan proposals for development in North Somerset
- 5 Weston homeless charity announces new location to help vulnerable people during winter
- 6 Football association charges club and players following investigation after abandoned match
- 7 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 8 Businessman launches two-in-one facemasks in support of MIND charity
- 9 MPs brand placing North Somerset into tier 3 restrictions 'not right' and 'illogical'
- 10 Weston-super-Mare duo sentenced for drug offences
The Celebration of Success evening will feature a performance by students on the performing arts course and a short speech by guest of honour, Weston Area Health NHS Trust’s lead consultant for breast services, Nick Gallegos, who will talk about the work the trust has done with the college.
After dinner, the presentations will begin to more than 40 lucky winners who will each take home a certificate marking their achievement.
Dr Phillips said: “It is vital not only to give all our learners the education they deserve at Weston College, but to make sure we honour those whose achievements are truly remarkable.
“This year’s winners are all stars, for a variety of reasons, and I look forward to presenting their awards tomorrow.
“I would also like to thank the sponsors of our event for helping to make it a very memorable occasion.”
The event is being sponsored by community companies and organisations including M&O Training, City and Guilds, Affinage Hair and Beauty, The I.E.T, Integral, Double Tree by Hilton Cadbury House, Cadbury Garden and Leisure, Symmetry Limited, Sounds Commercial, Howards Group, Somax Limited, Weston-super-Mare Football Association and Arturus.